Once in a while, I would cook up something savoury for him. Thus today's parmesan cheese and bacon muffins.
|Fresh from the oven!|
You would need to cook the bacon and onions first. A tad bit troublesome, but worth the effort as the whole kitchen was filled with a lovely smell when the muffins were cooking.
I recently acquired a kitty cloth, and couldn't resist putting it into the photos for they are simply kawaii!
|Serving my muffins with a cute table cloth|
While I associate sweet muffins with dessert and teabreaks, the savoury ones can be substitued for a light lunch or brought along for picnics. This is definitely a great base for savoury muffins, and I can imagine myself making different variations by adding mushrooms, or canned corns etc.
Recipe (serves 12 to 15 muffins)
Adapted from Bestrecipes
350g self-raising flour
salt and pepper
125g melted butter, cooled
250ml milk (1 cup)
2 tsp chopped chives
100g parmesan cheese
100g diced bacon
1 small diced onion
1/2 small red capscium, diced
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Fry onion, bacon and capscium till soft.
- Sift flour into a bowl. Add parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. *I only added a pinch of salt as both the bacon and parmesan is salty. But if you are a savoury person, you could increase the salt to 1/4 tsp.
- Whisk eggs, milk and chives together.
- Make a well in the flour. Pour in the milk, and melted butter, and fold till well combined.
- Fold in the bacon and onion mixture.
- Spoon into a muffin tray. Top with extra parmesan and bake for 20-25 mins till the top turns golden in colour.